Saturday, January 17, 2009

Food Glorious Food

I've never cared much for food. I know those of you who have seen my paunchy self tear through a meal might beg to differ. But I think that's why I ate so much. I used food as fuel - lots of sugar and caffeine. I used it for immediate gratification - take a break, fill the belly. But I never cared about the food.
Then came chemo.
Things don't taste the same. They don't taste "real." The texture is different. And then, it's hospital food, so...
Some things don't taste at all.
I came home with orders to eat, to bulk up and get ready for the next round of chemo. Didn't. Lost weight. Developed problems from that. Then I couldn't eat.
Have you tried Ensure or Boost? Mmmmm-mmmmmmm.
And water. Water. Water. Water. Keep drinking the water. The drink mix helps.
But then I hit bottom the other day.
Bonnie was cooking some hamburgers for dinner. And they smelled... Good. No, they smelled Great!
And then the weirdest thing happened. I started to crave food. Very specific foods. Lee's Turkey Hoagie with lettuce, tomato and mayo, no oil, no oregano. Kentucky Fried Chicken. Extra Crispy. Spinach salad with pecans and feta dressed with raspberry vinaigrette.
Now these aren't particular favorites of mine. But I guess my body has decided they contain what I need right now.
So now I eat again..

Wish me luck.

No comments: