Monday, December 8, 2008

Welcome Aboard The HMS ENDURANCE

The Endurance was the legendary ship Ernest Shackleton sailed on his ill-fated voyage to Antarctica. It got frozen in the ice of the Southern Sea. Shackleton and his men endured great hardship surviving on the ice until it crushed the ship, and then making their way by boat and luck and damned good seamanship to the southern tip of South America where they eventually found rescue.

My Endurance is located at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Rhoads Pavillion, 6th floor. My cabin is the Casa de la Cure and I am the captain, David Mayer Smith. I have leukemia.

I am writing this blog for various reasons, the first being to give me something to do between treatments, bleeding, and walking in circles on the floor. Another reason is to let people who are interested keep track of me on my voyage to cure. And yet another is so that I remember all the highlights and lowlights of the voyage when it is done. There are other reasons.

You are welcome to come along, stay or go as you please. But this ship moves in only one direction: FORWARD

No comments: