Monday, December 8, 2008

Unexpected Words

My excellent day nurse at Chestnut Hill Hospital, Tom Flood, was helping wait out the transfer to HUP. When food service neglected to bring me breakfast, he found one for me. When they forgot lunch, he rustled up a chicken breast and some soup. He was always apologetic for the wait and explained it was about HUP finding me a bed.
“I expected you would get down there sooner because…” he paused looking for the right words, “I don’t know a delicate way to put this but…”
I braced myself for some prognosis that I had not yet heard. Perhaps Tom knew I was more serious than I had been led to believe by my doctors. Of course I need to be at Penn immediately because my condition was so bad. I didn’t breathe for half a second.

“…you have good insurance.” I laughed, relieved. Then of course for the millionth time since my diagnosis I thanked the powers that be for the miracle of my beautiful wife who is an amazing person, a great mother, a top professional, a warm heart, the love of my life, and who has great health insurance.

No comments: